Tuesday, July 6, 2010

White

It seems to be the case that white gold as the nib material is not very common outside Japan. In this country, it is not unusual. We already know how the big three pen companies pay close attention to each other and are fast in copying the neighbor’s trends.

The picture shows six 18 carat white gold nibs by those companies.

From left to right, counter-clock wise: Platinum medium in size 4 engraved steel body, Platinum fine in size 4 polished steel body, Platinum medium, Pilot Custom Sterling nib in medium point from 1976, Sailor pocket pen with steel body, Sailor pocket pen with plastic section and aluminum body.

Colored gold is an alloy with a gold content given by the number of carats (18 K or 75% in those shown in the pic) and a careful selection of the remaining impurities –25% in this case—. To make it white, these impurities usually include platinum, palladium, nickel, manganese, zinc —or a selection of them— in different proportions.

This is a totally different strategy to that of electroplating the gold, or steel, nib with another metal to give it a different color.

These two Pilot Capless nibs have been problably electroplated. The one on the left, made of 18 K gold, with rhodium. That on the right, in steel, with gold.

(Platinum engraved stainless steel body with 18 K WG nib – Platinum black)

Bruno Taut
(Inagi, July 6, 2010)
[labels: Japón, plumín, Pilot, Sailor, Platinum]

1 comment:

anele said...

No sabía que se hicieran plumines de oro blanco.
¿no dijiste una vez que eran poco flexibles).
Porque conozco a alguien a quien le están empezando a chiflar los plumines flexibles, je, je.

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
Tus comentarios son siempre bien recibidos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...